A WordPress plugin which enables you to import and sync your Instagram photos/videos to your WordPress site. WP-IG is currently available on GitHub.
The story of WP-IG is started when my current employee asked me to make an Instagram integration for his website. I later re-applied the knowledge of crafting that into a plugin which enabled me to display photo/video with my defined wedding #hashtag, #fikrizkiyaWedding, on my wedding site. Hence the WP-IG plugin was born.
- Install WP-IG plugin (putting wp-ig directory on your wp-content/plugins directory)
- Activate the plugin
- You will be prompted with Settings screen. Follow the instruction on the settings screen which are:
- Create an Instagram client app. IMPORTANT: Use Redirect URI given by WP-IG.
- After registering your Instagram client app, you will get client ID and client secret of your Instagram client app. Copy and then paste it on the WP-IG settings screen. Save the settings.
- After saving client ID and secret key, you’ll see an oAuth authorization link. Click it and authorize your WordPress site to your Instagram account.
- That’s that.
Specifically, WP-IG enables you to:
1. Browse, Cross-Post, & Embed
After authorizing your WordPress site to your Instagram account, you can browse your feed inside your WordPress dashboard. There are two kind of actions available:
- You can cross-post your Instagram photo/video to your WordPress site. The cross-posted photo/video will be published using post format “image” and post type stated on settings page (set to “post” by default) under specified category stated on settings page (set to Uncategorized by default).
- To comply with Instagram API term of use, you cannot cross-post other users’ photo/video. Instead, you’ll be able to embed other users’ Instagram photo/video. When you click “Repost This”, you will be redirected to WordPress add new post screen with the Instagram photo/video automatically embedded on the editor.
Simply open the import screen, then click the import button. All of your Instagram photo/video will be imported to your WordPress sites. If you have lots of photo/video on your Instagram account, this task will take quite some time. Please be patient.
If for some reason you want to delete your imported Instagram photo/video, you can open the delete screen then click the delete button. All of your imported Instagram photo/video will be deleted. Remember: there’s no way to undo this task, so make sure to do this before you actually doing this.
You can set WP-IG to sync your Instagram photo/video to your WordPress site. Simply choose yes on the settings screen then WP-IG will check every 5 minute for a new photo/video on your account.
5. Embed feed
You can easily embed your Instagram feed. Here are available parameters:
[instagram]– display your own Instagram photo/video
[instagram username=""]– display user’s Instagram photo/video
[instagram tag_name=""]– display Instagram photo/video which are posted with certain hashtag
Please note that you cannot use
username and tag_name parameters at the same time. Instead of the parameters mentioned above, you can also use
[instagram cache="120"]– Get new result from API every 2 minutes
[instagram ignore_cache="true"]– Ignore the cache and always get the result from API