Lately the idea of having a web service which is: federated, a form of real time API which is focused on users not advertisers and giving back to power of controlling the data to its user, emerges. What’s funny is I think WordPress can handle, well not all but, most or at least many of the problem stated:
- It allows user to control their own data
- It has RSS Feed, regardless the question of how making it performs ‘real time for all user’, for sure.
Well some things still need to be solved, though:
- Making content creation more seamless. I’m thinking of insanely minimalistic front end editor. Imagine putting Twitter tweet box or Facebook status updates box on top of the latest post.
- ‘Timeline view’ and its follow, retweet, and conversation mechanism. I’m thinking of an interface built on top of RSS feed, like building a better looking Google Reader for WordPress.
- A directory of who to follow, or who can be followed.
Built it in form of plugin + service a la Automattic’s jetpack. The ideas i mentioned above is far from perfect tho, but what do you think?